In a surprising fast action by the Ontario government, they are planning on implementing a bill to restrict the use of electronic cigarettes and treat them similarly to tobacco cigarettes.
This law which was introduced today (Monday, November 24th) will ban anyone under the age of 19 from purchasing electronic cigarettes in Ontario. It will also ban e-cigarette from being used in any area where tobacco cigarettes are already prohibited.
The new addition to the ‘smoke free Ontario’ legislation is trying to add
- The removal of all flavoured tobacco cigarettes, cigars, etc.
- The removal of all menthol tobacco products
- Beefing up enforcement — Increasing fines and penalties to the highest of any province in Canada
- New legislation of e-cigarettes “We know they appeal to young people because they are cheaper and easily available”
- “Treat e-cigarettes the same way we treat tobacco cigarettes”
- Prohibit the sales of e-cigarettes to anyone under the age of 19
- Prohibit the use of e-cigarettes in places where the use of cigarettes is prohibited.
- Ban the sale of e-cigarettes in places where the sale of tobacco is prohibited
- Prohibit the promotion of e-cigarettes in places where tobacco cigarettes are sold.
This is a pretty significant deal for all e-cigarette users. Please read through all of the amendments specifically regarding e-cigarettes.
Ban the sale of e-cigarettes in places where the sale of tobacco is prohibited
This literally means that only variety stores, gas stations, and places who can legally sell tobacco cigarettes would be able to sell e-cigarettes. No more small business retail stores anywhere. No more ordering online anywhere. No more competition on pricing, creation of unique and custom flavours, etc. In the same way that the government regulates (and taxes) tobacco cigarettes, expect identical taxing and regulation of e-cigarettes sold in these establishments.
No mention of ‘Nicotine’ vs. “No Nicotine” e-cigarettes
This bill is effectively attacking the actual electronic device called the e-cigarette. Even marijuana smokers know that the accessories used — Bongs, pipes, etc. are not subject to government scrutiny, yet they are blanketing and lumping all e-cigarettes into the same policy, effectively banning and restricting them all.
Removal of all flavoured e-liquid
By lumping e-cigarettes together with cigarettes, they are now able to effectively ban all flavourd e-liquid. No more RY4, menthol, cinnamon, apple, peach, etc. e-liquid. You will be limited to tobacco flavours only. This is s significant impact on vapers across Ontario, as the majority of ex-smokers who are current vapors prefer non-tobacco flavours.
Severely limiting the paces one can Vape (use an e-cigarette)
By placing e-cigarette together with tobacco cigarettes in the smoke free Ontario act, you will now not be able to vape anywhere where you cannot use a tobacco cigarette. This includes:
- Child Care facilities
- Mother Vehicles driven with anyone under 16
- Enclosed workplaces — At all times even when not open for business
- Smoking Shelters — No more then 2 walls and a roof
- Areas where health care workers are present
- Common areas of hotels, motels, and inns
- Multi-unit residences
“We know they appeal to young people because they are cheaper and easily available“
In my opinion, this is just setting the ‘defense’ statement for the Ontario government, in a shroud to attempt to justify their actions. The protection of children, who could argue with this? In their statements, they make absolutely no notice on the benefits e-cigarettes have had, and currently have on current smokers unable to quit, offering an alternative to smoking. They make no mention of the potential to save MILLIONS OF LIVES as stated by the World Health Organization. “These products could be among the most significant health innovations of the 21st century — perhaps saving hundreds of millions of lives. The urge to control and suppress them as tobacco products should be resisted,” the experts wrote.” This is the real reason for e-cigarette development and use. No one wants non smokers to use e-cigarettes. No one wants children to use e-cigarettes. Any regulation specifically toward this would be appreciated by the community, but most of their policy changes go away from ‘protecting children’ towards ‘destroying the rights of Ontario’s vapers’.
Should you like to support the cause of protesting Bill 45, please visit your local Vape shop to sign a petition that will be presented at the next reading of the bill.
15 thoughts on “Ontario Government to Restrict E-cigarette Sales”